What Are the Consequences of Submitting a Plagiarized Essay in an Academic Setting?
Students have to write a lot of scientifically based essays, term papers, dissertations, case studies, lab reports, and so on. They all must be written according to definite rules and demands. One of the strictest ones is surely to write them without any signs of plagiarism. If they are present in your text, your paper will be denied by scientific society.
The consequences can be different, and they all are surely unpleasant. You may even lose the right to write academic papers forever. Even the simplest essay cannot be plagiarized. We will try to help with defining this matter. This informative guide is busy exploring the serious consequences that students may face when submitting plagiarized essays.
Definition and Types of Plagiarism
First of all, let’s define the phenomenon of plagiarism. This is a forbidden violation of the author’s rights. It takes place when someone takes your phrases or the outcomes of your research and states them as if they belong to them. It is unethical, and papers with plagiarism cannot be accepted. That is why all writers and researchers must point out that these or those words were taken from another source or author. To understand it better, you should check its forms. Its main various forms are as follows:
- Direct copying. This form is the most typical and widely spread. Dishonest or inexperienced people simply copy someone else’s words and paste into their texts without acknowledging that they don’t belong to them.
- Paraphrasing without attribution. Commonly, people can avoid plagiarism in 2 ways. Firstly, they use quotation marks. Secondly, they paraphrase other authors. Yet, even this second type must provide attribution.
- Self-plagiarism. At times, students plagiarize themselves by stating the phrases or outcomes from their previous works. They are obliged to state that they have taken them from the earlier papers as well.
Academic Honesty and Integrity
Today, academic honesty and integrity are very valuable. No one has the right to plagiarize. Such people violate these principles and are rejected by scientific society automatically. If plagiarism was allowed, it made no sense to research new questions because anyone could copy others.
Consequences of Plagiarism
Now, we should focus on the kinds of consequences or punishments one can get if one plagiarizes.
- Academic penalties. Teachers and professors may not accept your assignments, ban you from courses, or even deprive you of the right to publish future academic projects. It surely lowers your GPA and academic records because you won’t get the grades you need.
- Damaged reputation. This issue negatively impacts your relationships with other people. Your teachers lose faith in you. Your peers do not trust you either. You become an outsider.
- Ethical and personal consequences. Plagiarism of others has a negative personal impact as well. Most people feel personal guilt, shame, and stress. They appear when they realize that they tried to cheat. While their colleagues tried hard and did their research on their own, these people understood that they were not honest at all.
Now, we are going to discuss the potential legal consequences of plagiarism, including copyright infringement. If you are caught doing that, you may not have the right to do academic research for several months or years. Commonly, it’s the end of the career in this field. Besides, there are cases when people who violate the intellectual copyright have to pay compensation or even go to jail. If you don’t want to undergo these punishments but aren’t sure about the purity of your texts, you can use a reliable online service that surely has qualified experts. Their prices are commonly pretty cheap; however, they manage every other “do my essay for me” request for a decent sum of money.
Career and Professional Consequences
One more point that should be discussed is how academic plagiarism can affect future career opportunities. Students who are caught plagiarizing lose the chance to pass graduate programs or receive professional certifications. The limits may be for several years or even lifelong.
Impact on Learning
If your papers are plagiarized, you will hinder the development of essential skills. As you will be disallowed from writing any academic papers, you will not be able to write, research, and thus develop all the skills you commonly apply when you complete your academic papers. This is an academic degradation.
Prevention and Avoidance
We would like to provide strategies and tips for students to avoid plagiarism. Make allowances for them here below:
- Proper citing
- Perfect time management to not miss vital reference rules
- Consultations with your academic supervisors
- Regular updates on academic demands
- The knowledge of every academic writing style
- The use of plagiarism checkers
- The help from custom writing services
Finally, you need to develop original thinking and proper research techniques regularly. This is a good way to avoid plagiarism.
Institutional Policies and Resources
Academic institutions enforce plagiarism policies. They have qualified people who can plainly explain to every student how to avoid or prevent plagiarism. Be sure you get professional consultations and read the right sources to be well-informed.
The Role of Plagiarism Detection Tools
Wise folks always use special plagiarism detection software. There are various kinds of plagiarism checkers, and most of them are quite effective and precise. They work effectively and simply. You only need to insert your text in the selected app and run it. Wait from several seconds to a few minutes to get the results. These apps compare your text with other text that is already on the Internet. If any matches are spotted, they will be underlined, and you will see them to rework plagiarized parts. Reshape them, use the app again, and see if everything is alright. It’s better to use several apps.
The Bottom Line
If you submit a plagiarized essay in an academic setting, you risk a lot. You will lose trust, grades, and even the right to further writing and research. That is why this demand must be taken extremely seriously. Follow only academic honesty and responsible research practices to avoid lies and keep the right to be called an authoritative writer.
On certain websites, you’ll find a range of outstanding writing services, allowing you to choose the one that aligns best with your requirements.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?