Sydolil also known as Caffeine, functions as a stimulant causing a constriction of blood vessels, leading to their narrowing.
Ergotamine, found in Sydolil, belongs to a class of medications referred to as ergot alkaloids. Its mechanism involves the constriction of blood vessels surrounding the brain.
Additionally, Ergotamine (Sydolil) impacts the patterns of blood flow associated with specific forms of headaches.
The combined utilization of Caffeine (Sydolil) and Ergotamine (Sydolil) serves the purpose of treating or preemptively managing headaches of the migraine type.
It is important to note that this treatment is effective solely for headaches that have already been initiated. It does not serve as a preventive measure for migraine headaches, nor does it reduce the frequency of such attacks.
Caffeine (Sydolil) and Ergotamine (Sydolil) are inappropriate for addressing typical tension headaches or any headaches that deviate from your usual migraine patterns.
It’s also worth mentioning that Caffeine (Sydolil) and Ergotamine (Sydolil) might have applications beyond those described in this medication guide.
Preventing and treating specific types of headaches, such as migraines, migraine variants, and “histaminic cephalalgia,” is among the applications of Sydolil. Additionally, its usage might extend to other conditions as determined by a medical professional.
Sydolil is a combination of two vasoconstrictors. Its mode of action involves the constriction of blood vessels within the brain’s lining, leading to a reduction in the pain associated with migraine headaches.
GUIDELINES FOR USING SYDOLIL:
Follow the instructions provided by your doctor when using Sydolil suppositories. Refer to the medication label for precise dosing directions.
- Sydolil suppositories can be taken with or without food.
- Consuming grapefruit or grapefruit juice could influence the level of Sydolil suppositories in your bloodstream. It’s advisable to consult your doctor before incorporating grapefruit or grapefruit juice into your diet.
- Utilize Sydolil suppositories only on an as-needed basis for managing migraine attacks.
- Administer Sydolil suppositories at the initial indication of a headache. Unwrap the suppository and dampen it with cold water. Lie on your side and insert the tapered end of the suppository into the rectum. Gently push it in with your finger. Thoroughly wash your hands after using Sydolil suppositories.
- If the suppository becomes soft due to exposure to heat, refrigerate it for about 15 minutes or place it in ice-cold water before removing the wrapper.
- Should the initial dose fail to alleviate your headache, your doctor’s guidance might necessitate an additional dose. Refrain from using a Sydolil suppository dose within 1 hour of your previous dose.
- Exercise caution not to exceed 2 suppositories for a single migraine headache or more than 5 suppositories within 7 days without consulting your doctor first.
In case you skip a dose of Sydolil suppositories and continue to experience a headache, use it as soon as you remember. However, avoid using a dose within 1 hour of your last one, and refrain from using two doses simultaneously.
How to use Sydolil
- Administration Method: Take this medication orally, either with or without food, following your doctor’s instructions.
- Initial Dose: When you notice the first signs of a headache, consume 2 tablets as your initial dose.
- Follow-up Dosing: Subsequently, take 1 tablet every thirty minutes until the headache subsides. However, do not exceed a total of 6 tablets during a single headache episode or more than 10 tablets within a span of 7 days.
- Preventive Usage: If your doctor has prescribed Sydolil for preventing specific types of headaches (like cluster headaches), adhere precisely to your doctor’s instructions. This treatment is usually short-term, spanning 2 to 3 weeks.
- Dosage Consideration: The prescribed dosage is dependent on your medical condition and how you respond to the treatment. The medication’s effectiveness is optimal when taken at the initial onset of a headache. Delaying until the headache worsens might lead to reduced efficacy.
- Heart Examination: If you’re at a heightened risk of heart-related issues, your doctor might conduct a heart examination before you commence using this medication. Additionally, your doctor could suggest taking the first dose in their office/clinic to monitor for severe side effects such as chest pain. Consult your doctor for more details.
- Frequency: This medication is usually taken on an as-needed basis. It’s not intended for long-term daily usage.
- Caution Regarding Addiction: Although this medication offers benefits, there’s a rare possibility of inducing abnormal drug-seeking behaviour (addiction). This risk might be elevated if you have a history of alcohol or substance abuse. To mitigate the risk of addiction, ensure you take the medication exactly as prescribed.
- Preventing Overuse: Overusing medications for sudden migraine attacks can potentially worsen headaches (medication overuse headache) or lead to rebound headaches. Therefore, adhere to the prescribed frequency and duration.
Ergotamine (Sydolil) tartrate and Caffeine (Sydolil) Dosage form: Suppositories
Please note that the information provided at Drugs.com is not a replacement for professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or pharmacist for guidance.
Dosage Procedure: For optimal results, initiate the dosage at the onset of an attack.
- Begin with one suppository at the onset of the attack.
- If necessary for complete relief, use a second suppository after 1 hour.
It’s important to consider that administering the medication early leads to the highest effectiveness.
Maximum Adult Dosage: Rectal Administration:
- The maximum dose for an individual attack is two suppositories.
- Ensure that the total weekly dosage does not exceed 5 suppositories.
- Sydolil (Ergotamine (Sydolil) tartrate and Caffeine (Sydolil)) suppositories are not suitable for chronic daily usage.
In specific cases, with careful patient selection and while adhering to maximum dosage recommendations, nighttime administration of the drug may serve as a suitable short-term preventive measure.
Possible Side Effects of Sydolil:
If you experience signs of an allergic reaction, such as hives, difficulty breathing, or swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat, seek emergency medical assistance immediately.
Discontinue the use of Sydolil and Ergotamine (Sydolil) and contact your doctor without delay if you encounter any of the following:
- Peripheral Issues: Weak pulses in your arms and legs, along with numbness, tingling, or pain in your hands or feet. Also, the presence of blue-coloured fingers or toes.
- Rectal Discomfort: Painful sores on your rectum following the use of rectal suppositories.
- Neurological Symptoms: Sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of your body, accompanied by a sudden severe headache, slurred speech, vision or balance problems.
- Cardiac Signs: Rapid or slow heart rate, along with leg weakness and muscle pain in your arms or legs.
- Severe Pain: Intense pain in your stomach or lower back.
- Urination Issues: Limited or no urination.
- Cardiovascular Distress: Chest discomfort, persistent dry cough, shortness of breath during physical activity, or a sense of being out of breath.
- Elevated Blood Pressure: Symptoms indicating dangerously high blood pressure, such as severe headache, blurred vision, buzzing sound in your ears, anxiety, confusion, chest pain, breathing difficulties, irregular heartbeats, or even seizures.
Common side effects may encompass:
- Dizziness: Feeling dizzy or experiencing a spinning sensation.
- Weakness: Generalized weakness.
- Digestive Disturbances: Nausea and vomiting.
- Skin Reaction: Mild itching or swelling.
Sydolil, a combination medication containing Ergotamine (Sydolil) tartrate and Caffeine (Sydolil), is utilized to prevent and treat specific types of headaches, particularly migraines and related variants.
When using Sydolil, it’s crucial to follow precise dosing instructions provided by your healthcare professional. The medication’s effectiveness is maximized when administered at the earliest signs of a headache.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?