A lady should be very cautious about her nutrition once she learns she is pregnant.
You must have thought about altering your diet while pregnant after visiting your doctor. You must have received advice to only consume healthful meals from your gynaecologist.
She could have also advised you to start consuming nuts and dry fruits like almonds, apricots, and walnuts.
We shall discuss walnuts in this essay. The nutritional advantages of walnuts are not well known among expectant mothers. Consequently, let’s examine the advantages of walnuts during pregnancy.
Is Eating Walnuts Safe While Pregnant?
Walnuts, or akhrot as they are called in Hindi, are very healthful and perfectly safe to eat while pregnant. The kernel of a walnut resembles a brain, and they aid in the correct operation of the brain in addition to merely looking like one. Additionally than this, eating walnuts while pregnant may have a variety of additional advantages.
Nutritional Advantages of Walnut Consumption During Pregnancy
Pregnant women who consume nuts are thought to have a lower risk of giving birth to children who have nut allergies. The tasty and crispy walnuts are packed with nutrients that are good for pregnant women. Following are some advantages of eating akhrot when pregnant.
- Omega-3 fatty acids, which are important for a baby’s brain development, are abundant in walnuts. Additionally, walnut consumption during pregnancy might promote a baby’s brain development.
- Gamma-tocopherol, a type of vitamin E, may be found in walnuts. Because of its distinct anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects, gamma-tocopherol is regarded as a particularly efficient type of vitamin E. Even hazardous free radicals may be eliminated with its aid.
- Vitamins, fibre, magnesium, copper, and manganese are all abundant in walnuts. They are also rich in selenium, calcium, iron, and zinc. The various benefits of walnuts are enhanced by these minerals.
Alpha-linolenic acid, an important fatty acid needed for the growth of the newborn, is a great source of it.
Health Advantages of Consuming Walnuts While Pregnant
Now that you are aware of the nutritional advantages of walnuts, let’s learn more about how consuming them may benefit you while you are expecting using the list of benefits for walnut consumption during pregnancy that is provided below.
- Omega-3 fatty acids and proteins found in walnuts may aid in the development of your unborn child’s eyes and brain.
- Plant sterols found in walnuts have been shown to lower blood cholesterol levels and raise levels of HDL in the body.
- Consuming walnuts in moderation might also aid in maintaining the ideal lipid profile during pregnancy.
- The endothelial cells that line the blood arteries all throughout the body are discovered to benefit from walnut oil in terms of maintaining their functionality. These cells are crucial for the elasticity of blood vessels. So, frequent walnut eating may help to reduce blood vessel irritation.
- Walnuts may even aid in the management of high blood pressure since they relax the blood vessels.
- A pregnant woman needs both protein and fibre, both of which may be found in abundance in walnuts.
- An expectant mother’s immune system may be boosted by the antioxidants in walnuts. It is advised to consume walnuts with their brown peel. This is so because the skin of walnuts contains the majority of the fruit’s antioxidants—90% of them.
- The copper in walnuts may support the foetus’ healthy growth and development.
- Additionally, they contain copper and polyphenols, which help guard against cancer and free radical damage.
- It is advised that moms eat walnuts after giving birth to prevent postpartum depression. Their alpha-linolenic acid content is beneficial for treating dementia, manic-depressive psychosis, and postpartum depression. So after birth, you may keep eating walnuts.
- Walnuts also aid in melatonin level regulation. Eating walnuts may be quite useful, particularly during the third trimester when sleep becomes a big worry. Melatonin facilitates sleep.
- By helping you feel fuller and longer and preventing binge eating, walnuts may help you maintain a healthy weight.
- Copper, which is necessary for the production of red blood cells, is found in walnuts. Additionally, it aids in sugar breakdown and tissue healing.
- A vital vitamin needed for the growth of a baby’s bones and cartilage is manganese. One serving of walnuts might provide half of your daily manganese needs.
How Can Walnuts Be Included in Your Pregnancy Diet?
Walnut consumption is healthy throughout pregnancy. You may consume walnuts in a variety of ways. They may be consumed either whole or finely sliced. They may also be included in a variety of cuisines, including fruit and vegetable salads, meat and fish dishes, and baked products.
Since using medications when pregnant may not be a good idea, women also use walnuts as a natural cure for a variety of health issues. The following are some ways to include this dried fruit into your diet:
- You may consume 3–4 walnuts that have been coarsely chopped with 1 spoonful of honey and a glass of water. It may help with stress, sleeplessness, or headaches.
- In a bowl, combine chopped walnuts, grated lemon peel, and two teaspoons of honey. If you experience the signs of anaemia and avitaminosis (long-term vitamin deficiency), taking 1 tablespoon of this combination before meals can be helpful.
- You may eat walnuts as a mid-meal snack as part of your diet. Consume soaked walnuts for the most health advantages. Walnuts may be added whole or finely diced to salads or used as a garnish.
When Consuming Walnuts During Pregnancy, Exercise Caution
Walnuts may cause certain unwanted consequences in pregnant women. As a result, you must take the appropriate safety measures before eating the nuts. Precautions must be observed while ingesting walnuts while pregnant include the following:
- Choose raw nuts rather than alternatives like candied or sugar-coated walnuts.
- Avoid eating nuts if they have black stains or a sour flavour.
- To keep the walnuts fresh, store them in an airtight container or put them in the fridge.
- Prior to introducing akhrot into your pregnant diet, speak with your doctor.
What Dangers Are Associated With Consuming Walnuts While Expecting?
While eating walnuts during pregnancy is safe, you shouldn’t eat too many of them. Anything in excess may be harmful to your health, and walnuts are no exception. As long as you consume them in moderation, you are able to eat walnuts while pregnant.
When pregnant, it is not advised to eat more than 30g of walnuts each day. This is due to the fact that eating an excessive amount of walnuts might create problems for both the mother and the unborn child.
Here are a few potential problems that might happen if you eat too many walnuts while pregnant.
- During pregnancy, excessive walnut consumption might cause diarrhoea.
- Walnut consumption has the potential to impede iron absorption and, over time, result in anaemia.
- A minor walnut allergy may worsen when a woman is pregnant. If you have a severe nut allergy and happen to eat even a tiny quantity of walnuts while pregnant, it may result in skin rashes, lip swelling, itching, vertigo, and asthma.
- Overindulging in walnuts may raise the risk of bleeding during birth.
- Walnuts are heavy in calories, therefore consuming too many of them might result in excessive weight gain.
Omega-3 fatty acids, which are critical for the growth of the baby’s brain and eyes, are abundant in walnuts. They also include nutrients that are important for a pregnant woman’s general health and well-being, including protein, fibre, vitamins (such as vitamin E and folate), and minerals (like magnesium and potassium).
Walnuts should be included in a balanced diet, but it’s vital to take them in moderation as with other meals. Walnuts or any other nut overconsumption may cause weight gain, and some individuals may be allergic or sensitive to nuts.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?